Have you been notified of a federal criminal investigation against you in Texas? Maybe you have been indicted and are currently facing criminal charges. How do you find a lawyer you can depend on to fight for your legal rights and defend your freedom? Not every criminal defense lawyer is the same, and you need an ally who you can trust to fiercely advocate for you in a federal court of law.
The process of choosing a lawyer is a stressful and daunting task. When your future freedom is at stake, the decision is even more challenging. Partnering with an experienced defense lawyer is one of the most important decisions you’ll make and is often the critical difference between a lengthy prison sentence or a fair and reasonable result founded on the facts surrounding the case.
If you’re searching for a federal defense lawyer in Texas, consider the following tips to help you choose the best one to represent you in a federal court of law and give you the best chance of securing your freedom.
Look for a Defense Attorney with Experience Litigating Federal Offenses
Above all, you need to partner with a defense lawyer who focuses on federal criminal defense. The same way you would refrain from contacting a heart surgeon for your knee replacement operation, you also would not hire a lawyer with little experience defending against federal criminal charges.
Why is Federal Legal Experience Necessary?
To start, penalties for federal crimes are much more severe than penalties for crimes under state jurisdiction. The consequences for federal offenses include steep financial penalties and maximum prison sentences that can potentially impact the rest of your life.
Additionally, federal prosecutors are not overburdened the same as many state prosecutors are with an excessive caseload. Federal prosecutors have the time and the resources necessary to build a strong case or investigation. Judges overseeing federal cases will not tolerate delays or unpreparedness from either side. For these reasons and more, it is critical to hire a federal criminal defense lawyer with the resources and experience necessary to build a robust case.
Choose a Federal Defense Lawyer with a History of Success
One way to help you choose a qualified federal defense lawyer is researching their previous verdicts and case results. Depending on the case, a successful outcome in a federal criminal case can mean several different things:
● If an investigation is underway and you have not yet been charged, the best result is one in which you are never charged at all.
● If you have been criminally charged while you are innocent or the prosecution lacks proof to build a strong case against you, the best result is winning your case at trial.
● If you did break the law and there is substantial evidence to convict you, the successful outcome may be mitigating a lengthy imprisonment.
How to Discover a Defense Lawyer’s Prior Case Results
While researching federal defense lawyers in Texas, consider their past case results, typically found on their website. Keep in mind that each case is unique, with varying factors that can drastically change the outcome. However, it’s perfectly acceptable to ask an attorney about their case experience and results with cases that are similar to yours.
Often, asking the attorney outright and researching their previous case results can help you gauge whether this attorney can provide you with the defense you need. Be wary of any attorney who avoids answering questions about their experience and results for cases similar to yours.
Honesty and Openness Are Key When Selecting a Federal Defense Lawyer
When looking for a qualified federal defense lawyer, pay attention to their openness and honesty regarding your case’s defense and outcome. You want a lawyer who will be realistic and explain both the strong and weak points of your case. If your life and future freedom are on the line, you do not want an attorney who sugarcoats the facts. You want to be fully aware and prepared, knowing what may happen as your case moves forward.
Questions to Ask to Discover a Lawyer’s Transparency Before You Hire
When you meet with a lawyer who you’re considering hiring for your federal criminal case, consider these questions to gain insight into their openness and honesty:
● Are they making overly optimistic guarantees or predictions about the results of your case? No attorney can promise or guarantee an outcome. Be wary of any attorney who makes promises regarding your case’s results that they cannot keep.
● Do they claim to have a special connection with the judge or DA that will help your case? Experience should not be mistaken for personal influence. Any claims of favorable treatment based on a personal connection with the prosecution or judge are unethical, and you’d be wise to avoid any attorney who makes such claims.
● Are they overly pessimistic, or are they providing an opinion that’s unsettling or disappointing? While pessimism may at first seem like a red flag, a lawyer who is realistic and makes you aware of all possibilities in your case assessment is a good sign. You want an attorney who gives you a straightforward evaluation and can help you understand the severe consequences you may face ahead.
Contact the Saputo Law Firm for Skilled Criminal Defense in Your Federal Case in Texas
When choosing a federal defense lawyer in Texas, there is no substitute for your intuition, experience, and comfort level with a lawyer you’re considering to bring onto your case. If there is any doubt in your mind, remember that your lawyer should be your legal representative and your best chance to secure your future freedom. Keep these tips in mind when searching for an attorney to represent you and defend your case.
At the Saputo Law Firm, we represent clients in Dallas and throughout Texas who face life-altering consequences from charges against the federal government. Our criminal defense lawyers are warriors in fighting unjust and corrupt government prosecutions with a reputation for tenacity and legal ingenuity. We understand that when you need us, you’re going through a traumatic experience. When you partner with the Saputo Law Firm, you can depend on zealous representation inside and outside the courtroom.